No, this is not a C squad grunge band called ‘Lower Case D’. Nor is this one of those Gen X ‘alternative’ churches. No, no, kiddies, this is an Aussie band called Disembowelment (Ya see when two dark ages barbarians hate eachother very much…). They are important ’cause these dudes are often credited with founding funeral doom. This means absolutely shit to people probably reading this for the 90s references since it’s all muddy growl noise to the untrained ear. Still, this band’s austere downtempo creepery was pretty original for its time. Considering that it was also augmented by guitars so detuned that they are noteworthy even today, it’s safe to say this is worth a mention. The entire discog is now on bandcamp from Relapse Records and is available for about 18 bones. If soul crushing death/doom is your chalice of mead then this is pretty essential. The rolling uptempo death metal parts are actually pretty cool in and of themselves. Take a listen.
- Seance on TUESDAY TIME MACHINE: OZZY OSBOURNE – THE ULTIMATE SIN (1986)
- DS on BLACK FRIDAY: ARSONIST LODGE
- The Metal Advisor on NEW VIDS FROM JESS AND THE ANCIENT ONES, DE LA CRUZ, KVELERTAK
- DAVE GROWL DIRECTS NEW SOUNDGARDEN VIDEO. ALSO, HERE'S THE VIDEO. on WHAT TO DO ABOUT SOUNDGARDEN
- STREAM THE NEW ENFORCER ALBUM, YOU'LL THANK ME on As The Streets Freeze, Cauldron Continues to Melt Faces.